Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Monday, October 2, 2023

#117: how was your Saturday?

 


Saturday was nuckin' futs. 

Two weddings, probably 30 or more people EACH (although counting my blessings; was supposed to be around 100 each). 

Around 8:30, first guy pulls in with his small trailer. "We're just going to set up the awning thing and get out of the way. Don't worry. We know how stupid it gets. We're going to shuttle people up from the lower lot. We know parking is limited." Okay, fine. Wedding at 3. Great. 

Around 11, old beat up pickup truck pulls in, back loaded up with folding chairs. Two guys dressed in usher attire get out and begin taking them on to set up. Is this for the 3oclock wedding? They look at each other. No, one says. It's at 2. I inform them that there's also a wedding at 3, so be prepared for a lot of people you don't know poking their noses in. No problem, one says, we shouldn't take more than an hour. 

I just smile. Because I know better. 

At 1:30, planner from the 3oclock wedding shows up with THEIR chairs. I inform him that the 2oclock wedding has already set up in there, but don't worry, they SHOULD be done by 3. Or so I was told. I suggested simply using the chairs for both but he didn't go for that suggestion. Whatever. Wedding planner shrugs, pulls out several stacks of folding chairs on rolling carts and leaves them near entrance. 

2oclock rolls around people are milling about. Then 2:15... 2:30... 2oclock wedding hasn't started yet. Because the bride and bridesmaids are STUCK IN TRAFFIC. Because they took the absolute WORST route you can take this time of year: Spearfish canyon, where people drive 10 mph so they can enjoy the leaves changing colors and stop in the road to watch the mountain goats. Bride for 2oclock wedding FINALLY shows at 2:45, as people for 3oclock wedding are milling around trying to figure out who is in whose wedding. 

All this time I've been directing traffic. I have to, otherwise they're parking in places they shouldn't and endlessly circle the first parking lot like brainless sharks trolling for chum. At this point I'm a bit sunburnt. But I've got a big smile on my mug, I'm seriously enjoying the chaos going on. Neither group knew about the other, although I knew about it since they both called the office. 

I began my closing/cleanups of the bathrooms around 3 like I always do. Since it takes a while to clean them all when it's busy (and it was insanely busy even without all the weddings nonsense going on), I didn't see how they worked it out. Not my problem --told them all good luck and left to finish the other bathrooms. They were still milling around when I left. I was laughing my ass off. 

Because if you're going to bring a gigantic group of people to a *public venue*, which isn't equipped for that many to start with (remember we've got TWO groups of at least 30 EACH, was supposed to be 100 each party.....), that is *first come, first served*, that you can't reserve,  and you choose to bring them smack dab in the middle of leaf changing season when it's already insanely busy to begin with, you are obviously stupid. 

Just sayin'


That's my weekend, hopefully yours was less chaotic, though mine was certainly fun. 

Aye,

Kraneia 

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated, so please be patient and submit only once ;)