Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

#6: Songgasm

For those of you just joining us, you have probably picked up that I am a bit of a nature geek (I prefer the term "plant nerd") . I wander around in the woods, grow plants in 5 gallon buckets every summer, and take photos of EVERYTHING, from the smallest flower, to the oddest looking bug I happen to see. I wander barefoot in the yard (this backfired last weekend, when I stepped on a bee....ouch...) and just enjoy getting my hands dirty in general.

 You probably also figured out I read a bit. Not as much as I used to; this would require...what's that called? Oh yes. An "attention span", of which I have little left. Most of the books I have kept are plant books (including text books from school), trivia books, and the odd fantasy novel or three. I recently got a book on mushrooms, not because I plan on eating the things growing out there, but just so I can learn some names and just recognise what I am looking at in general.

 But I had yet to mention I am somewhat of a music geek. Silly me, how thoughtless to have not mentioned it before. I have managed to collect a lot of tunes--popular stuff, the not-so-popular, and a little bit of the "what the hell is that noise" kind of thing. I spend some evenings searching for various songs that I listened to, way back when. You see, things were a bit..........difficult.......when I was 12 or so. I will spare you the details (you're welcome to email if you really want to know), we'll just say it's taken me 30 years or so, to become comfortable with myself and my own body. Distancing myself from 99% of my family helped somewhat.

 Or maybe I just grew up finally, who knows?

 At any rate, there were a couple of things that got me through it. One was Tolkien. I swear the man kept me from killing myself at 14. The knowledge that pain, despite the darkness, is only as temporary as you make it. Keep plugging away enough, and the light at the end of the tunnel (or is it the light of the volcano? ;) ) will appear, sooner or later.

The other thing that kept me going, was the radio. That thing provided the soundtrack of my daily life, the background noise providing comfort as I read, or eased me to sleep after another stressful, hellish day. I outgrew the stupidity I had to deal with from other people, and I don't read Tolkien as much as I used to (although I still have the books, read almost to tatters, 30 years later), but I never forgot the music that helped me through it.

 And modern inventions (mainly, the internet and downloading programs) have enabled me to find these songs, once again. I am finding more and more of them, every day. But there are always a few more that I am missing......

 One of the problems has been with instrumental songs. No lyrics, so I can't look them up. Trying to sing (or hum, I guess would be a better idea) to someone doesn't work, as I couldn't carry a tune if it came with a handle. So I have had to rely on randomly coming across them on places like YouTube (over in the suggestions, after listening to another song by someone who I knew who it was) or, if I was really really lucky, catching it at random on a radio station and the DJ actually saying who it was (or at least, the title)

 Such was the case Monday

.When they played a song on the radio I hadn't heard in a long time, but had been looking for, FOR YEARS. And then played the next song on the album, which I DID recognise.

 I almost stopped the car in the middle of traffic.

 Seriously? That's who that is by?

 

Talk about your songgasm.

In other news, I about killed myself, once again, doing trail work.  In between the hot, humid day, and climbing up hill back to the car, I actually had to stop several times (once I had to *sit down*) to catch my breath. Several people stopped and waited with me, which I was grateful for, but still embarrassing. I evidently need to get out more, or learn to not just take off as quickly. I had trouble on the same trail last year, although I didn't have to sit down then (may of been less humid, who knows?)

At any rate, I did manage to get some photos of the area.

Coming down from the mountain
 The area is called "Hunt Fish Falls", and it's a pain in the ass to get to, even without the stiff climb back to the vehicles. The road isn't as bad as some, but I still wouldn't trust anything less than a 4 wheel drive, even though some people don't seem to care one way or the other. I was glad someone else was driving. 

These folks go here every year, around the week of July 4th, and after working a bit we all hang out there for a while and eat lunch. Some people go swimming, as you may imagine. And we weren't the only people there.

I had to get somewhat creative to get this particular photo, to avoid getting both people, and their damn pile of shoes (that they insisted on piling up right in front of the falls) in the photo. I suppose I could have asked them to move them, but I really don't like making waves, so I just sucked it up and dealt with it.





Fancy a swim? 

Other than getting out of breath, I enjoyed the trip. Next week involves working next to the Linville River (mostly in shade, they assure me). hopefully it won't be as bad a climb.

Stay Tuned!

Aye,
Kraneia

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated, so please be patient and submit only once ;)