Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Sunday, September 11, 2016

#339: Stones Rising XXII

After driving for approximately seven hours, I finally pulled into a slightly run-down Exxon. It looked like it had seen better days. I pulled off to one side of the parking lot and watched the other cars come and go. After taking a deep breath, I sent the text. Shortly thereafter, I got a reply.

My guide arrived roughly ten minutes later, and soon we were on our way. I was led several miles through Maryland, and then a mile or two through Pennsylvania.  The back roads were idyllic and peaceful. About what you'd expect that side of the Potomac.

"Damn. I coulda kept the Garmin on and not bothered anyone," I thought.

Then we turned onto a dirt road.......

I emerged five days later, dazed. The car was covered with more dust than I'd ever got at home, and from the rear view mirror, a new set of ribbons fluttered in the wind coming in through the open windows--red, green, blue and yellow.

My week was unsettling, exhausting and just plain unreal. Not least because I was the furthest from home I'd been in close to ten years, for an extended period of time, surrounded by more people, far far more people, than I was used to.

All this to say, I can't wait to go back......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me have it!