Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

#275: Mysticon

Friday morning, 5 a.m.:
We had the alarm set for 5:30, but like Christmas, you always wake up sooner than you want.  So I went on and got up, and let Dent sleep. Of course, he actually wakes up, notices I'm not there (this is a first), and gets up, too. So we shut off the alarm and get to packin' the remainder of our stuff.

6 a.m.:  We're leaving the house now, and it's time to snag some breakfast and gas before hitting the highway. After a couple of minor irritations (trouble getting back OUT of the Hardee's, and the gas station attendents being idiots) we're headed on our way.

10:00 a.m.: We stop at a rest area in Virginia.  It is actually a bit colder here than it was in NC, as Dent demonstrates. Even I had to go back to the car for my jacket.  But at least it had stopped snowing before we had got there. Up I-77 around the border, the fog was so thick you couldn't see 10 feet in front of the car. Normally I don't mind fog too much, but with the road possibly being slick, semis going 35 MPH (and possibly jackknifing and you not know it till you're right on them), I was glad at least to see the fog lift.

11:30 A.M.:Three separate interstates, several local highways and a couple of side roads later,  we pull up to the Holiday Inn Tanglewood. I'm a little put off by the construction; they're apparently remodelling and there's tarps all over the place, and pallets of stone vaneering. But the staff was nice enough to let us go on and check in (check in time is usually 3 pm apparently), and once we had all our stuff up in the room, it was time to do some exploring.

I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself this weekend. Large crowds usually make me twitch, and this place really wasn't much of an exception. The hallways were a lil narrow for what they were using it for (art tables, book sellers, etc), and I felt the dealers room really could've been bigger. But over all I did ok. It helped that I had both Dent with me, and Mort to carry around.  I did get mistaken for a furry once, but that's ok. that was to be expected.

We came home Sunday afternoon, pretty exausted. But, Dent got me a couple of things, mainly a bookworm. Ya, I'm odd. Maybe he'll guard my books instead of eating them.

Yesterday, it was time to go back to work. Came home to a surprise last night--! I'll let you in on that, next post. Suffice it to say, I am still unpacking, washing clothes, and putting stuff away from the weekend. We took a lot of stuff. Including a cooler full of food!

Would I go back again? Maybe.... Have a year or so to improve my costime. :)

Aye,
Scratch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me have it!