Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

#222: Digressions and Progressions

So a friend of mine, in an effort to "combat the evils of bullying" folks who are, let's say, a little different than everyone else, has started his own "geek" 'blog/photo journal. You'll find his exploits here. While I agree in principle, I think "geekdom" has become more mainstream.... The popularity of shows like "Big Bang Theory" kinda proves that, even though they're stereotyping what a "geek" is. The general definition seems to involve a hobby or activity you REALLY like. Well, ok.... I'm not a geek though, I'm a plant nerd. Whatever. Check out his site--it's a heckofalot better than this thing.

There's a fine line between teasing and just being flat-out mean; if folks on either side can tell the difference, things will be all right. I dealt with a lot of both in high school; but even then, I understood that even on my worst days, it was still temporary and not worth losing sleep over. Unfortunately, bullying has come a long way in 20 years--it doesn't always end when the last schoolbell of the day rings. At any rate, I'm a bit worried about kids nowadays. I'm sure some of you folks out there are, too. I don't know if you get the gist of what I'm trying to say here, I'm rambling, I know I am, but it was something I just had to put down. Those of you out there who are a little bit "off", or "weird" or "strange", or whatever it is you call it, don't worry, you aren't the only one.

But I digress. As usual.


At any rate, I mailed off that application to Brevard yesterday afternoon. Stuck a lot of hopes in that envelope and sealed it up tight. Cost me a dollar to mail.

And now, we wait.......

I've been told by an insider that "farms don't hire Americans" because we're "lazy". All I can say is, give my application a look-over. I'd appreciate the opportunity to prove otherwise. I realize I'm not real impressive to look at. I guess I was just brought up a little differently. We were taught at a very early age not to expect anything to be just handed to us--you want it, you have to work for it. Sometimes you have to fight for it. My Daddy worked two jobs to take care of us and Mom. Least I can do it follow tradition and bust my butt. Just give me a shot, promise you won't be sorry. ;)

I know, you're thinking, "WTF  is this??
I have, as I have mentioned before, made my own Christmas decorations on occasion. Of course, not being particularly "Crafty", it never turns out quite like I imagine. Or remember, if it's a matter of re-creating stuff we had when we were younger. Such was this case. Can you tell what the image on the right is supposed to be?

That's right, I took tin can lids and attempted to make bells out of them. I can remember having a set of these hanging up at the house; I don't know whether mom had made them, or what. Ours had little Christmas scenes painted on them.  So once Dent tracked down the tin snips (that he's had for 10 years but never used!) and I tracked down the yarn and the sleigh bells, it was time to go. They don't look quite how I imagined them, but hey, I made them, anyway.

I ain't Martha, and that's a good thing.

Prepping for the New Year's thing. The tree has been de-trimmed and is hanging out in the Meg's room till we figure out what to do with it. I'm hoping the branches fold up enough we can slide it under a bed. Of course, that means I have to find a home for what's already *under* the bed, but that should be easier, since it's in boxes, and we need to weed out some stuff, anyhow.

Mr. Phone man was spotted the other day fixing a box out by the road... So even though it was pouring buckets yesterday morning, the internet still worked. Yay! Maybe this means the Nethernoise™ is banished for good. Or at least until someone hits the box again and destroys it. 

Stay tuned.

Aye,
Scratch