Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Thursday, December 8, 2011

212: Horse Hockey

(just a little nod to Harry Morgan, who died yesterday at the ripe old age of 96)

All I can say today is: Oh boy.

Having managed to survive this long with the math class has at times surprised and amused me. Final exam is Tuesday......at any rate, the light of the end of the tunnel is starting to appear. Let's just hope it isn't the headlamp of an oncoming train.... Cause we were passed a 'review' this morning, taken from old tests and exams. Some stuff I vaguely remembered doing way back when. An alarmingly large amount, however, looks like it was printed by aliens from outer space. It is gibberish. I'm like, "huh?". Not a new feeling where math is concerned.

I get the feeling I'm going to be locking myself in at the technicolor trailer this weekend, with a math book in one hand and a stack of notebook paper in the other. Along with pencils and calc long for the ride. Think happy thoughts.

At any rate, the instructor for my other class has decided to give his exam today. The last day of regular class. All the instructors here in the ELS building pretty much do this, so they can use exam week to get the grade stuff together to turn in (as well as find better things to do than grade a bunch of stupid tests so close to Christmas). I think I will do OK on this one, as long as I don't have to figure out greenhouse heater BTU's for more than a couple of problems. More math. Yuck. You notice a trend here? (hint: it involves the words 'hate' and 'math')

Our "new" Christmas tree is now in front of our front window. We haven't decorated it yet, as we haven't gone to the Despot for more LED lights (Have I mentioned Dent likes LED lights?) . The plan originally had been to get them last night; however, due to the weather event (that's a nice way of saying "The skies opened up like it was cursed") we ended up staying home.

Posts may be scattered in the next week or so. Not only do I have the aforementioned math exam to keep me up all night, it appears our home phone line is screwed up. AGAIN. Pick up the receiver, and there is a LOUD hum. Forget about carrying on a conversation. This happens every time there is a rain; I suspect water gets in somewhere and makes the wires go all Charlie Sheen. Then, by the time Mr. Phone man comes to check, things are dry and the noise chuckles to itself and says, "SUCKER!". The last time this happened the tech guy gave us a business card and told us to call him directly when we heard it again. Needless to say, he got an earful last night; Dent had to call him back on his own cell phone in order for the tech to understand the information. We were told someone would be out *today* to look (listen?) to it. We'll see.

Finally, I have a question for the "steampunk" folks. The SCA "Period police" will criticize if you aren't "period enough". So what do the steamers do? Saying simply "this is not steampunk" is kinda lame if you ask me. Would it be "not steamy enough"? Or perhaps "punk-less"? I bring this up because I have a certain website out there...who shall remain nameless....who apparently have a double standard. It's a steampunk site. If you post pictures for people to see, it should be steampunk, yes? I get this. Especially after having my own photos not approved for "not being steampunk". (Funny, I thought homemade Christmas ornaments, was, at the least, Victorian....) . So I log on the other day, and what do some of the other folks have posted on their pages?

Dolls. And creepy ones at that.
(modern) airplanes.
Themselves, dressed in *normal* clothes.

Your argument is invalid.
Fuck you and your double standards.

Now, if you're just joining me from that particular site...welcome..... I don't have a problem with you personally. But practice what the fuck you preach. And if you're offended....go up and read the title of the 'blog, as you should have before you started reading this post.

Thanks for letting me rant
Aye,
Scratch