Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Birthdays In The Middle Of Nowhere

One of the local radio stations here has a particular deejay, who likes to take songs and read off the lyrics as if he's at some sort of poetry jam. The other day he decided to read "Mmmmbop", which of course, got me thinking of a few things. Namely that their first album, Middle Of Nowhere, describes EXACTLY where I am, both literally and figuratively. This made me sad, on SO many levels. But I will get over it.

The closest "big" town (Charlotte notwithstanding) is Hicksville, which lies roughly 20 miles from here. All our snail mail, however, goes 8 miles south, to Vale.  If you were to look this up on google maps, the geographic center is the US post office, right there on Reepsville Road.  And why would one put the post office as the center of town? Because there is nothing else there. No, I'm not kidding.  They have pictures there on Google.  So the center of Vale really IS the middle of nowhere!  Do I hear Banjos? Ouch.

Now that I am yet another year older (you knew I'd have to bring that up), it's time to sit and ponder, once again, where I am in my life.  And it's official: I'm At The Middle Of Nowhere.  Middle of Life in a Backwards state I can't quite escape. But I'll get there soon enough, don't you worry. You gots mighty purty teeth.

If a tree in the forest fell on Jacob and Edward,
would anyone over the age of 12 REALLY care?
Hiding the birthday candles, especially the stoopid one Dent bought, that plays "Happy Birthday".

Aye,
Scratch

4 comments:

  1. Hey, happy birthday, next time try to be born on a summer day. :-)

    If a tree in the forest fell on Jacob and Edward, would anyone over the age of 12 REALLY care?

    Only those that knew Jacob and Edward, and then only for a fell weeks, life goes on and we are always moving forward and there is always more shit coming at us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didn't know about Jacob and Edward would I care? No.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, happy b-day! Remember, you're not getting older, you're getting better. At what, I'll leave it up to you.

    If a tree in the forest fell on Jacob and Edward, would anyone over the age of 12 REALLY care?

    I would. I'd throw a damn party. I'm Team Silver Bullet/Wooden Stake. >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Middle of Life in a Backwards state I can't quite escape."

    Throw in "job I can't stand in a dying career field" and you're pretty much exactly where I was a month ago.

    Happy Belated Birthday, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete

Let me have it!