Because bad taste is better than no taste at all.....

Monday, October 25, 2010

One Hundred Posts, One Hundred Pictures (1)

So in the interest in doing something fun and exciting....and also because I couldn't think of anything BETTER to do, I have decided to post some pictures. 100 of them, to be exact. 

Yeah, I know what you're thinking right about now. "Yawn. I've seen some of these before...." I know, I know. But these are favorites some folks may not have seen yet, so bear with me.

First, let's do some plant type stuff.
I know, I know. This is a mushroom. Mushrooms are in the fungus family. They're fungi because they don't grow green like normal plants. Still, I like how they seem to pop up out of nowhere (as they do) and break down all that stuff in the mulch bed. This little fellow was growing in in a little old lady's yard we were mowing. He was trying to hide, I think, so no one would pick  him.



These lovely ladies were in MY flowerbed this summer. I was so proud, and surprised, and honored to have them growing just for me. I was kinda surprised that they have been doing as well as they have been; the last tenant neglected them terribly. The Japanese beetles haven't been too bad this year, either.  I chose these for a profile picture because they look a heck of a lot better than *I* do......

I am always AMAZED at nature's diversity and cunning. This little fellow, who I had to make bigger, was hanging out at the school. I think he's in the morning glory family. At any rate, he's an early riser, which is more than I can say for me! :)


This little one, who also grows around campus, is a coneflower. Here he is being visited by a friendly bumblebee who wants to play peek-a-boo. Either that, or he's eating coneflower snot. Not sure which, I forgot to ask. And I don't speak Bumblebee, so what good would it have done?

Have you ever taken a good long look at stuff that's sprouting?  These are sunflower seeds. I like to think they're giving little hi-fives to each other.... or waving at the celestial object they were named after.

This green fellow is your friendly neighborhood sweetgum tree, catching some rays.  I think she wanted someone to come sit by her and enjoy it with her. I would have liked to today,  but it is raining and wet outside. Perhaps later on in the week it will dry out enough to go say hello.
This handsome fellow was growing in an empty field on the corner. Sadly, he was cut down shortly after this picture was taken! That happens sometimes. I liked how he stood all dignified in the mist.... Little stick-y fingers reaching up. Devoid of leaves, he still had enough grace to host an owl or two....
And THIS is a brown eyed susan (I think).  Such a studious flower, she was growing in a bed behind the library! I wonder what kind of books she'd be checking out? I'm looking at the book case here in the classroom and seeing titles like "A Year of Flowers" and "Genetics of Flowering Plants".  I think she'd like picture books more though.

I'm kinda hoping someone can tell me what these are. They seemed not to mind all that snow we had last winter; in fact they're still growing up along our road (which is a dirt/gravel road) It's like they're sticking out their tongues at old Jack Frost. Nyah nyah! We're growing anyway...


Finally, this is what those sunflower sprouts grew into. ...not very big, but the seeds came from a birdseed mix, so they were probably from a hybrid flower. I thought this would be an appropriate picture to leave you with for today since fall is now upon us.

...............So tell me what you all think of these. I'll be posting ten more in another post. What, did you think I'd be posting ALL this stuff on one post? What would I do then for my 101th post? ;) Try not to be too dissappointed that I didn't post  "100 things you don't know about me", I like to think this was better to read and to look at.

Until next time (and thank you for staying with me!)
Scratch

1 comment:

  1. So in the interest in doing something fun and exciting..

    Um, that would be camping and sex in the forest.

    Oh, what do I think of the pictures? I think I've seen similar on about 2000 other blogs, hahahaha

    But keep them coming babe, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

    ReplyDelete

Let me have it!